Monday, July 20, 2009

Nothing but good food here

Summertime has got to be a favorite for every foodie in the world. This morning I drove into work and found John and Rebecka washing the just picked beets and getting them ready for the barn.

It was going to be in the 80's today and field workers try to get as much done as possible.No one goes out between 11:30 and 1pm on a day like today.
This gorgeous food inspired me to try a new salad
I found in Cook's spring issue.Of course I had to
give it a personal twist to make it my own.
So many customers have asked for a potato salad
with no mayo or dairy products.They are either
concerned about allergies or have safety issues with food left outside
on these oh so warm days.I think this one fits the bill.It calls for green beans about 1 1/2 lbs and potatoes with the skin left on.I used 2 lbs of Russian fingerling's. Mix EVOO 1/2 cup s&p and a tbls of sugar.Toss your veggies till all are shiny.Pre-heat your cookie sheet in a very hot oven on the lowest rack possible.They said 500 but, honey ,I cook nothing at 500.
I settled on 425 and it did the trick. I'm sure you all know your ovens and can plan accordingly.
When your sheet is hot 8-10 min.Throw the veggies on and roast in a single layer for 25 min.Do not turn stir or rotate.While this is going on,put a third of a cup of oil in your bowl.(I hope you haven't washed it yet.)2 minced garlic cloves and vinegar of your choice. I used raspberry vinegar about 3-4 tbls.When the veggies are roasted toss them with your dressing and let cool about 30 mins.Then add something to give it crunch. I slivered a small radicchio.It's like an Italian cabbage no bigger then the palm of your hand.This salad is great warm or cold and you don't have to worry about leaving it in the sun on a hot summer day.Hope you give it a try and don't be afraid to give it your own twist..............................said the hobbit

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Your salad looks delicious and is on the menu for this weekend. I'm trying my hand at growing radicchio this year, my mom gave me some seeds, so hope to be eating some this winter.

Margaret