Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Good things on my menu

Although I have been making an effort to eat from the pantry,everyone should add a little something fun to their menu especially in the summer.We have been making frozen smoothies on a regular basis.This one requires 1/2 a honeydew melon ,1/4 cup of honey,1/4 cup of heavy cream 1/4 cup pistachios and I throw in a few mint leaves.The recipe doesn't call for it ,but,I think herbs are a great addition to a frozen treat. I just put everything in the food processor give it a whirl and pour it in the molds.The first time I did this I thought it was a little too much like a Popsicle,so I added a little more cream to make it like a creamsicle.Both varieties were great however I'm going to try it with yogurt and see which one we like best.The family said "Just keep them coming ,we'll try every variation you can come up with."I think we might also try plums or blackberries if we ever get our fill of the honeydew.



People in our area are trying to get into raw eating.Changing one's eating habits is always so difficult but I came up with this recipe.It was a hit at the barn and sold out before I even had a chance to try it.Here are the ingredients.
1/3 cup dried currants
1/3 cup canola oil
1 minced garlic clove
1/4 teas ground cumin
zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 2 lemons
3 med zucchini
3 summer squash
1 shallot
1 box of pasta (I used ziti)
3 tbls of toasted pine nuts
2 cups arugula
In a small bowl cover the currants with hot water till they plump (10 mins or so) Raisins would also work)Drain of extra liquid.
In a large bowl (non reactive please)combine 2 tlbs of the oil with the garlic,cumin ,lemon zest and 1/2 of the lemon juice.Add salt and pepper to your taste at this time.Cut up the squash and zucchini to your liking and put them in your dressing along with the currants.Allow this to sit in the dressing on your counter for at least 1 hr. Do not refrigerate at this time.When ready ,bring your water to a boil with the shallot in it.Add pasta and cook to your preference.Drain, toss with veggies add pine nuts and arugula. Baby spinach is good also. If you try this let me know how you like it.....................said the Hobbit

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Both recipes look delicious! They both made me hungry :)