Monday, April 2, 2012

Eating from the pantry

One of my favorite ways to cook is to look in the pantry and see just what I can make without having to shop for ingredients. Having a passion for food, I often pick ingredients up with the intention of cooking something marvelous. Of course life gets busy and I forget my great ideas and, you guessed it, there is a whole lot of stuff in the pantry.We won't even talk about the yarn and fabric that have been picked up for the amazing knitting and crafting that I plan on doing. Once the holidays have passed it's time to get real and make use of those goodies so that I can get more.......dah! Last years trip to KING ARTHUR FLOUR I found the greatest deep dark chocolate cocoa..........of course I had to have it. And now the sad story of how it really was used. No unbelievable biscottis or over the edge brownies for me,no sirree!
A quick look in the freezer revealed 1 lonely patty of pie dough which I rolled out and baked.

From the pantry came 1/2 cup of white sugar
3 tablespoons of the cocoa
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8teaspoon of salt
I wisked all the dry ingredients right in the pan then slowly added 2 3/4 cups of milk and continued to wisk till all was blended and started to thicken. They say stir occasionally but, every time I try that it burns to the bottom so.......I just stand there stirring for about 10 minutes really it's not that long.Then remove from the heat and stir in
2 tablespoons of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla
Pour this into your pie shell and you've got a great dessert for the family.................much better than that little box of pudding.

Of course if you doubled your recipe like I did



You've got a little something for the cook............said the hobbit

4 comments:

Connie said...

I LOVE your little something for the cook! That would make all the work worth the effort. Chocolate anything is yum, yum in my books.

The Hobbit said...

We are of the same mind. Who can say no to chocolate!

Connie said...

I think I am going to try this today. I have company coming and the pie crust is ready ...

The Hobbit said...

I think you'll be happy with the results.......it's a keeper