Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Ask and you shall receive

just last week I was complaining about hamburger buns and how I needed a recipe.Well I had no sooner published that post when the answer landed on my computer.One of the blogs I follow here is a genius when it comes to finding purpose to things in ways you might not think. Well on Sundays she has started a giving back day and last Sunday she introduced me to Robin. Guess what she makes down in Georgia. That's right homemade burger rolls and they're soft just like I wanted. Isn't that great!!!

S,I put Vicky(my unbelievable Viking mixer) to work on my latest attempt in the fine art of baking. Robin's instructions were very easy.
Line up you ingredients:
3/4cup hot water
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 3/4 -3 cups flour
Set aside 1/2 of your flour and put everything else in your mixing bowl. Beat till smooth adding flour as you mix till dough is tacky but not sticky. It took all 3 cups for me. Keep kneading with mixer for 5 minutes.

Let your dough rest for a few minutes. I stayed away for about 15 minutes,that's was my interpretation of a few minutes.It seemed to be fine. Divide in 8 parts. I should have cut my dough in squares trying to form a triangle into a ball was the hardest part of the recipe. Place rolled balls on a greased cookie sheet flatten slightly allow to double. This took about 20 minutes in my area.Depending on time of year and temperature this could vary.Bake in a preheated oven set at 350 degrees for 15 -18 minutes.


I had no onion powder and couldn't wait to try these so I sauteed onions and sprinkled on 1/2 of the rolls. Both were yummy. I plan on making these again so that the rest of the family can get a taste. Um that's how good they are............................said the hobbit

4 comments:

theurbanhippee said...

I am SO going to make those!!! Check out what I did with Pizza :)

Margaret said...

Those look wonderful. I will have to try them.

Connie said...

These sound really good. I have made so much bread down through the years - in fact a loaf is in the mixer as I write.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to have this recipe! Thank you.

My mom always made ALL the bread we ate while I was growing up, including hamburger buns. There is nothing like them. She doesn't even remember how she made them, but thank goodness you have shared this recipe because my sweetie needs to have the experience of a home made bun!