Sunday, January 4, 2015

Something new in the kitchen

Doesn't the new year just scream.......TRY SOMETHING NEW FOR A CHANGE!! Well , no problem here. Just ask my family and they will tell you, I am forever trying something new. At least in the kitchen and in my craft room .Everything always sounds so tasty .....so fresh, so OMG I have to try this.
So, while reading my Yankee Magazine,I was drawn to this recipe for Concord Brown-Bread Muffins. The memories of my memere's brown bread that accompanied our weekend serving of bean's came flooding back and I felt this might be a nice treat.Although meals on the farm were never boring,we had a certain amount of repetition that added comfort to our routine.Saturday 's bean supper was one of those things.Most shopping was done Saturday morning and when we got home a hot pot of beans was slowly coming to Canadian bliss in the oven.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Butter muffin tins.They claimed this would make 12 muffins and I did follow their directions BUT, with such dense flours being used I think dividing the batter into 6 tins will be my choice next time.First CHOP 1/3 CUP CANDIED GINGER AND SET ASIDE

  In a bowl combine: 2/3 CUP OF CORNMEAL
                                              1/2 CUP WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
                                               1/2 CUP RYE FLOUR
                                                3/4 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
                                                1/2 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
                                                 1/2 TEASPOON TABLE SALT
                                 
In a smaller bowl whisk together:1CUP BUTTERMILK
                                                   1/4 CUP VEGETABLE OIL
                                                    1/3 CUP DARK MOLASSES
                                                     1 LARGE EGG
Add liquid to flour and mix till just blended.Didn't dirty my mixer for this one.A spatula was enough.Stir candied ginger into batter reserving a little for the tops. Divide batter into buttered muffin tins. No paper needed Bake 10 minutes NOW SPRINKLE REMAINING GINGER ON TOP OF BREAD/MUFFINS and continue to bake 10-12 minutes.


I'm eyeing my memere's bean pot. These might just be the thing to bring back an old tradition.
                                                              "said the hobbit."










No comments: