Thursday, October 14, 2010

Mmm Time for apple sauce

Wow! We are really into fall. The air is crisp,the days are definitely shorter and pumpkinAs soon as I finish this post I think I'll be looking for my gloves.
I'm sure everyone has a recipe for applesauce but for those of you just starting out in the kitchen,this one is pretty easy. Here what I think makes it easier.

A quick rinse and then,with a paring knife,I take out the core and the blossom end.
Next I cut the apple in half and using a melon ball er or something similar I take out the core.I've used the melon tool to death . This is an olive spoon that allows you to serve 1 olive and lets the juice pass through a cutout in the bottom. That doesn't happen in our house.If you want an olive just reach in the jar and get it. The plus with this tool is that it is constructed in one piece and only cost a few 2-3 dollars and save me a heap of time.
See how clean this is after just one twist of the wrist. Now I peel the apples and put everything in a pot.

Now I put all ingredients in a pot.
We have 3-4 lbs of apples
4 strips of lemon peel
juice of that lemon
3 inches of cinnamon stick (1/2 teaspoon powdered)
1/4 cup brown sugar
up to 1/4 cup white sugar (optional)
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
Just let this simmer stirring occasionally. Might take 25 minutes. Just standing by the stove and having that wonderful aroma wafting up is warming.


When it's done it will look like this. Remove the peel and the cinnamon stick if used. If you like it really smooth you can put it through a blender or a food mill. Most of the lumps that you see are a leftover peach that I threw in. Don't be shy! If you have any fruit hanging around that you think is being ignored just toss it in. Pears, raisins, cranberries raspberries will all be a plus to this. Pile it on a toast or put a dollop on your oatmeal or yogurt.
It's all good...............said the hobbit


3 comments:

Margaret said...

Looks delish, and very easy. Do you have lots of apples in your yard? I do but they are wormy so I don't do much with them.

Domestic Designer said...

Thank you so much for this recipe! It looks simple and delicious....a great combination.:-)
DD

Anonymous said...

An olive spoon! Brilliant! and look how easily it removes that pesky seed case.

Thank you so much for the applesauce recipe. Your looks like a good one.