Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Everybody is doing it

Have you noticed that everyone is making their own granola? Do you think that the $6.00 a bag for approximately 2 1/2 cups of healthy cereal has anything to do with it?

So, this month I turned to the trusted Quaker Oats man to venture out on my own and create a personal granola. What was I thinking when I paid those outrageous prices for my healthy snack. I quickly googled granola and took the first recipe from "the New York Post"It was a disaster.Although the recommended ingredients all sounded wonderful,the recipe called for no oil,which I quickly discovered was essential to making a good granola.They suggested cooking the mix of fruit nuts and grains along with honey or maple sugar at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.Within 20 minutes smoke was pouring out of the oven and I had a burnt mess on my hands. Okay,scratch Mark Bitten off my list of knowledgeable chefs. In all fairness I was told he is a critic and not a chef.

So, I returned to my faithful cookbook The Barefoot Contessa,who suggested:
4 CUPS OF OLD FASHIONED ROLLED OATS
2 CUPS SWEETENED COCONUT
2 CUPS SLICED ALMONDS
3/4 CUP VEGETABLE OIL
1/2 CUP GOOD HONEY
1 1/2 CUP DICED DRIED APRICOT
1 CUP DICED DRIED FIG
1 CUP DRIED CHERRIES
1 CUP DRIED CRANBERRIES
1 CUP ROASTED UNSALTED CASHEWS
The oats coconut and almonds are put in a bowl ,the oil and honey are mixed and pour into the oats. Stir to cover and place on a cookie sheet. I suggest using parchment paper.
She suggested 350 degrees for 45 min.Already being a little gun shy with my last attempt I lowered my temp to 325 and decided to check after 25 minutes It was perfect at that time.
Allow to cool and stir in the remaining fruit and nuts.This is where the parchment paper comes in handy. Pick up the granola by forming a cone and pour into your container.No scraping with a spatula necessary .



And Voila a huge container of perfect granola there for the snacking.Of course I plan on trying other variations maybe a little spice like cardamom or orange zest mixed in with the honey and oil,chocolate chips and sunflower seeds should you have them on hand.The list goes on and on with endless possibilities.

For those of you following the ornament in progress,here is the latest attempt. OK but still not what I wanted. I decided the problem is my yarn. It's too heavy,4 ply,I'm use to making my ornaments a little more on the delicate side.
So off to the yarn store for a fingering weight. You wouldn't believe how many not quite right samples I have.............................said the hobbit

3 comments:

Margaret said...

The Barefoot Contessa is one of my altime favorite chefs. Of course her foods alwasy taste great...butter and cream...in almost every recipe...
I have been thinking about granola for the diner..maybe seasonal fruit, topped with yogurt and granola. I think a healthier choice is needed and your granola sounds (and looks) great.

Geek+Nerd said...

Oooh mama! Don't scratch Mark Bittman off of your list entirely! He's written some amazing cookbooks/articles for the times. This is one of my favorite articles of his: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/dining/18mini.html?_r=1&ex=1342491c447600&en=e76308a572af&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Connie said...

Well, I don't know much about chefs, but this looked good and sounds good. I made your broccoli soup and it was delicious.

I served it cold for lunch with a friend and she really liked it. (Hot sandwich on the side.) think I like it cold as much as hot.

Yes, thinner yarn will make the hats prettier!