Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I love bread

Am I the only person using a bucket for my bread making?I can't remember exactly when I bought this but,let me tell you it was a BIG deal.Maybe 1970?Obviously pre-Cuisinart.This replaces the need to knead.Your proof is done in the bucket then other ingredients are added and you just crank that baby until everything is well blended and comes off the sides and bottom. I'm not ready to give it up yet.It's a slow methodical way of kneading which gives you ample time to ponder your product.

I'm always favoring recipes that sound interesting and every other week I try to get to one of them or at least have someone else give it a try.This one has been on the list for awhile and finally made it to the top. Do you ever visit this blog I have so many of her recipes favored that I'd have to live to be 100 just to even come close to trying them all.This time I tried her Russian Black Bread

Tired of the same old same old?This recipe was sooo good. I remember seeing the list of 17 ingredients and thinking "wow that has to be special "especially the chocolate and espresso coffee and the shallots.Worthy of gift giving.

After the first rise you can deflate it divide in two and let rise again as a boule. In my excitement I missed the GENTLY DEFLATE part and was giving it the kneading of its life when I read those words. I'm not sure if that was a problem,I'll know better when I've done it a second time


Anyway I opted to place in 3 4x8 loaf pans.It's just the 2 of us and although someone is always willing to take home samples,they're not here when I'm baking.I cut each loaf in half,it is so hearty and tasty that I didn't want to lose a crumb.If you're thinking of giving home made bread for a gift of any kind,this one is a winner........................said the hobbit

4 comments:

Connie said...

I have made my own bread for years. I can see I am from a very plain stock ... wow, I don't even know some of those ingredients! However, I would love just one taste - then I know if it was worth that much work. LOL

Anonymous said...

You have sold me! I will definitely be baking this bread!

Love the bucket! I've never seen one! How cool is that bread baking tool?

Margaret said...

I love bread and stopped buying bread quite a few years ago...until the diner, now I don't have the time. Have you ever tried the bread in 5 minutes a day? There is no kneading either.

Happy Easter, I love the painted eggs.

Margaret

Janet said...

We had one of those bread mixers in the 50s and now I see them at Antique Shops...makes me ponder my age!