Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A party for two........sometimes it's a good idea.

I know the Holidays are meant to be spent with lots of family, music and hoopla......but,sometimes you need to make a little special time for your first mate.My husband and I have a number of anniversary under our belt, and let me tell you girl, it never hurts to make your partner in crime feel a little special.You know how it goes..........do unto others as you would have them do to you. So if you're needing a little special attention the quickest way to get it is to give it.

Something new in my culinary skills this year is a free form vegetable pie. I haven't quite found the perfect blend yet but,I think it had plenty of eye appeal and I'm fascinated with the concept. I know this isn't a new idea.........potato sandwiches were the rage in the 30's but it sometimes takes me awhile to catch on. This one had the fancy name of RED POTATO AND APPLE GALETTE  so how could I pass it up? Flour, 1 and 1/4 cup, butter,1 stick ,salt and pepper ,and ice water 5 to six Tablespoons were the ingredients for the pastry. I couldn't help but add a sprinkling of thyme to the mix.Chill in the fridge till ready to use.While waiting THINLY slice.

1 MED RED POTATO  wash don't peel
1 GRANNY SMITH APPLE  cored not peeled

Roll out your dough to a 12 inch circle. ( we like our crust thin and flaky so I have to say I had enough for 2 pies)
1/ 2 CUP CREME FRAICHE spread this on your  just rolled crust within 1 or 2 inches from the a
edge. then sprinkle
1/4 CUP GRATED PECORINO
and alternate the potatoes and apples, being as creative as you like or, just heap it in a mound and spread it evenly over the cheese.
Bake at 450 in the lower third of your oven for 20 -25 min.

While waiting for the masterpiece to be ready we helped ourselves to cheese and crackers and a little pumpkin bread. Bloody Mary's rounded out the meal and gave us the time we needed to breathe and plan our attack on the holiday to-do list.We clinked our glasses and patted each other on the back for handling yet another holiday frenzy. Everyone at the party had a great time and loved the galette. Sometimes you just have to treat each other like visiting royalty. I love a party for two...................said the Hobbit

No comments: