Sunday, December 22, 2013

It's almost here........Are you ready?

Are you cooking like  crazy right now........I know Christmas/comfort. It's a perfect match,isn't it? This should be such a fun time of year,but, somehow I make an almost impossible list than even Santa can't handle.While trying to decide what to make for the holidays I scan to see what my blogging friends are doing and by the time I've spent an hour or two oowing and ahhing over all their plans I'm just about ready to have a good cry.
Really....am I the only person out here who can't make 13 different cookies and 5 specialty candies for my family to enjoy?


But then I look out my window at the newly fallen snow and see my neighbors house looking like the perfect Christmas card, my heart melts and my blood pressure drops a few notches and I am reminded that I just have to be me.Although I love a good cookie I have to say that my true comfort food is ........
                                                                   
                                                                   SOUP........I think there is nothing more comforting than a hot bowl of soup.This week I made RED LENTIL WITH LEMON.When life gets a little stressful, this soup can really lift your spirits.There are many variations to this recipe,however I think this comes under the heading of "if it ain't broke,don't fix it" simplicity is an important thing to remember during the holidays.
Gather these ingredients:

4TBLS EVOO  
2 LARGE ONIONS CHOPPED
4 GARLIC CLOVES MINCED
2 TBLS TOMATO PASTE
2 TSP GROUND CUMIN
1/2 TSP KOSHER SALT
PINCH OF CAYENNE
2 QUARTS VEGGIE BROTH.........OR CHICKEN
2 CUPS RED LENTILS
2 LARGE CARROTS  PEELED AND DICED
JUICE OF 1 LEMON
1/3 CUP CHOPPED FRESH CILANTRO

Saute onions and garlic in Olive Oil till just tender
Stir in tomato paste,cumin,cayenne salt and pepper and continue to stir till  you have that wonderful aroma of onions and spice rising up from the pot.  Oh yeah ...... now you're cooking.Add your broth,lentils and diced carrots.Bring to a boil then slowly simmer till tender. 20 to 30 minutes.At this stage I use my emulsion blender to puree the soup.Stir in lemon juice and chopped cilantro and enjoy!! After consuming 1 or 2 bowls of this soup you should be ready to get back to your holiday list and probably check everything as "done"
Hmmm,have you thought of having it for breakfast?..........said the Hobbit


























No comments: