Thursday, June 5, 2008

Rhubarb time













Hi everyone. I hope you're all out there helping your local farmer with his produce. This is the rhubarb patch. We've been harvesting for about 2 weeks now so everyone should be looking for a new and interesting recipe. I know strawberry rhubarb pie is probable the favorite but it really is great in bread or muffins and besides it's not strawberry seasons here yet so let me know what you're doing with yours. I had a customer call at the barn the other day. He had decided to make his version of rhubarb crisp. He baked the fruit put crisp topping on and baked it some more.It seemed he was left with a very watery mess.What could be the problem he asked. Well it could be the exclusion of sugar or flour. Just a thought. First time cooks,oh how I love reliving those early mistakes and passing on my mothers' advice "oh honey, just put it on ice cream and it will



be just fine. Worked for me. So here I am ready to try a new recipe.It came from an older book, a little vague on size of pan and temp needed but, I gave it a shot anyway.



RHUBARB BREAD



1 1/2 cups brown sugar [lightly packed] or not



2/3 cup vegetable oil



1 egg



1 teas salt



1 cup buttermilk yum



2 cups diced rhubarb



1/2 cup chopped walnuts



1 1/4 cup white flour



1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour



1/4 cup wheat germ



1 teas. baking powder



In large bowl combine oil and sugar,add egg salt and buttermilk, mix thoroughly. Stir in the rhubarb. In a second bowl mix nuts, flours, wheat germ and baking powder. Add dry to wet.



Stir till just moist and spoon into a 9x5 bake at 350 40-50 minutes or till tester comes out clean. I use spaghetti as a tester.

It was pretty tasty if I do say so myself. Hope you are all enjoying the summer although it has not officially started in N.E. But, that never stops us................said the hobbit







3 comments:

Geek+Nerd said...

Looks really tasty mum!

S'mee said...

fabulous tutorial Hobbit! just grand!

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Well there's a coincidence... I have just made the very same cake today and we are just about to sample it. Our rhubarb patch has been abundant this year so it's rhubarb with everything!
What a lovely surprise to see that you have linked to me... thank you so much..
You would love Sussex UK .. it has so much to offer..

Michele