Friday, May 1, 2009

My kind of town N.Y.city

Before I forget where I went or what I did I thought I'd better tell you about our weekend in N. Y.city.It seems nearly impossible to sit at the computer long enough to put my thoughts down.We stayed at the Hyatt by Grand Central Station.The accommodations were great I had this little office type area to do my own thing while my husband attended a meeting.


Of course I don't have a laptop so I had to take notes on things of interest.Notes have been misplaces or they are with my husbands notes on dental prostheses. However I think I can wing it.Our first stop was Baltazar's.This is a great little restaurant on Spring St. in SoHo.What I enjoy most about them is they are so friendly and helpful. We were a bit early for our reservation so we sat at the bar and had an aperitif.


Along side that was a tray of cheese and crackers ,a bowl of olives and a rack of hard boiled eggs.I dug right into those olives they were marinated in oil and herbs and I just can't resist them

My husband favored the sharp cheddar cheese. I had never seen eggs offered before so I left them where they looked best.What if they were not hard boiled at all.Wouldn't I look silly smashing it on the bar. I'm a little bit country you know?

We sat at our table right on time and the first course for me was a salad with goat cheese smothered in caramelized onions.Sorry I was really hungry and ate the cheese and onions then remembered I should have taken a picture.Hubby ordered his favorite beet salad with goat cheese.He was pretty quick with the fork,so no pics there either.

I usually eat here on a Saturday. The special has always been braised short ribs. They are melt in your mouth,however this time it was Friday night and the special was bouillabaisse.I have learnt that if a really good restaurant offers a special it's usually the best of the evening.So I had it and it was great. It had lobster shrimp,cams and white fish not to forget the crab. Jiggy (the hubby) doesn't order anything he doesn't understand. Bouillabaisse is not something he can visualize so he went with the steak au poivre.He speaks french so he was ok with that.We of course had a fine wine and many laughs.We are both so busy lately we hardly have time to say hello. It seems we have to drive 5 hours in order to get some time alone.Obviously the staff noticed what a great time we were having because when it came time for dessert we were informed it was on the house. MMM profiteroles filled with french vanilla ice cream and ladled with hot chocolate sauce.Sooooo good.Then we hopped into a cab and headed back to our hotel to gear up for the next day.I need to take a few pictures of my purchases but,am waiting for better lighting. You'll have to be patient with me...................said the hobbit

8 comments:

Connie said...

What a special time you shared with your hubby! So happy you had this time together.

The sounds and looks so yummy. I, too, wondered what to do with the eggs!

Unknown said...

It's great you got away with your husband. I think sometimes I forget how important that time is with my husband.

Everything looks delicious and elegant!

S'mee said...

You made my night just reading about your adventure in New York, alone, with hubby! Wow. SO great. Sounds just lovely!

The Hobbit said...

You're right girls. Special time with the hubby should be a priority for everyone.Thanks for the reminder.

Domestic Designer said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures!

Margaret said...

Your getway sounds wonderful..olives you say?? My fave but then I'm Italian. Can't wait to see your purchases.

Geek+Nerd said...

I love picturing you and dad laughing it up on a date night in NYC. You two are the best!

Connie said...

Just stopping in today to wish you a wonderful Mother's Day. May you get to do something special!!